Saturday 28 February 2015

Weekly Update #3 (Feb 16-28th)

So this week I've had a very difficult time getting rest and my momentum on drawings has slowed but I'm still loving what I'm doing. Or maybe the momentum hasn't slowed and it just seemed like it to me for some reason. Unfortunately the main blog still hasn't been introduced to many people but I really hope it does soon. We started doing crit groups which I really enjoyed, even though I didn't get much feedback on how to improve/what to do next. I think most people don't know what to suggest because of my use of digital media and not just traditional, but I did take on board one suggestion of actually making my own brushes which has helped me with the digital painting I made this week.
Those damn trees were such a pain. Made in Photoshop CS5
This digital painting actually went by rather quick, except for the background trees which took me a very long time but I made my own brushes/textures then used warp to help guide me through the long process of blotching in colours with a very small brush to get fine details. I just finished it tonight but I'm rather happy with it. I also made another video, using similar effects as the last one and I'll continue adding on these effects to my digital paintings and trying some new things out each time. I really enjoy it.


I've also done a quick speedpainting of an octopus tentacle to go along with my sister's interest in them/her use of them in her sculptures. I also made a few in traditional media since I find that swapping between digital and traditional helps me improve both ways and gives me more ideas of how to work with materials, programs and tools.
Speedpainting <~1hour to test colour and texture. Photoshop CS5
Octopus tentacle testing out different traditional media (marker, fineliner, colour pencil) and an array of random colours.

I've done a few wolf sketches too, one inspired by this image I always liked on DeviantArt. I copied it at first because it was an interesting position...I'm not a pro at wolf anatomy yet. Then I altered it to look like my sister's sculpture 'Nervosa'. I really loved how it looked so I decided to painting using a monochromatic colour scheme with some highlights of  yellow. I always love using blue and yellow together. It's funny, in my digital paintings I use colour but in traditional media I still favour black and white or monochromatic colours. I also had the idea of 'the four wolves of the apocalypse' after finding this image that I favourited ages ago, also on DeviantArt. I thought that Nervosa was sort of like 'Famine'. Maybe I'll play about with designing the other three in wolf form to see how it goes. I'm not sure yet, I'm just trying to go with whatever comes to mind.
(Left) Fineliner, study of the DeviantArt piece. (Right) Pencil, changed into 'Nervosa'.

Acrylic on paper...really love how this turned out. 
Other then that I've done a whole lot of reading, especially the magazines and ebooks I bought from 3DTotal.com and 2DArtistmag.com...I've found them incredibly helpful, inspiring and thought provoking. Not only did they give me help with things like using new tools, making brushes and adding effects. The interviews are also very useful, provide inspiring quotes and ideas and has given me various artists to research such as Darek Zabrocki, Lasbleiz Artwork, and Paul Sullivan. I've also done quite a few pages in my sketchbook of artist research, ideas, little test sketches, thoughts on what I did/didn't do well on, crits and so on...

I might try to ease up on myself a little bit and not be so strict with "I must make ___ pieces today" and just do some reading instead of forcing myself to draw when I don't want to despite the fact that I tend to get into it even if I force myself. I always forget how helpful reading, watching films/documentaries/tutorials, and playing computer games are. It also helps push me to test my limits to enable myself to be as prepared for my course next year as possible...and hopefully be prepared to become a concept artist even further in the future.

Thanks for taking the time to read my ramble...

-Deanna Crisbacher

No comments:

Post a Comment