Sunday 26 April 2015

Weekly Update #11 (April 20th-April 26th)

I don't have many new pieces to post this week as I've been focused on my sketchbook, research, and testing out different ways to exhibit my work in the show. I made a video after recording some audio with my sister (which I am unable to upload due to possible copyright music used in it). However, that video did not work the way I intended so I chose to look through my entire sketchbook and consider every piece I've made to find a selection of images that would work best. I chose my two gas mask digital paintings and two zombie digital paintings for a variety of reasons, but in short I think they work well together, show my skills and express my relationship with my sister very well.
Experimenting with sizing and arrangement.
I made a few sketches as well just to break things up, they aren't fantastic but I love to draw and wanted to continue to make drawings even if I was focused on other things. I printed out my images along with some images that I handed in to be hung and possibly sold at Pure Magick, a shop in Canterbury that sells things like healing crystals, incense, candles, books and jewelry. I also did some research and looked into Hermann Nitsch and My Life in the Bush of Ghosts (link starts on The Jezebel Spirit, a song that used a recording from an 'real' exorcism) for inspiration.
Pencil sketch inspired by this image.
The pieces I chose to submit to Pure Magick.
I also took some advice from Ian and tried out some concertina books really quick and it ended up being really enjoyable. I think there is potential in it...I played around with having the full image (partially cut off due to the digital paintings being a portrait but the concertina books being square) and having close ups within the book of that digital painting. I think they look very interesting, some of the zombie ones remind me of Hermann Nitsch. I'm going to play around more with it next week, i think I might have my four prints on the wall then maybe have a shelf with 4 books...each one with one of the digital paintings with close ups so people can pick them up and have a look at them. I played around with the order of my prints and if I wanted a white background or a black one. I'm hoping my aluminium sheets for mounting these prints will arrive early in the week so I can get all of that sorted.
Pencil sketch of a portion of The Gates of Hell (reference photo I took myself when I was in Paris)
I also visited Wildwood trust and took loads of photos so I want to try to find time to do some drawings...I think some continuous line drawings might look nice. I also had the opportunity to play the Elder Scrolls Online Beta for Xbox One which means a lot to me. My sister and me used to play Elder Scrolls Oblivion and Skyrim along with other games by Bethesda such as Fallout. I'll only have a short time to play it because it's only available for a limited time, then I have to take a survey and report any bugs. Despite the bugs which have been mostly audio bugs, I am really loving this game and it's making me excited for my Undergraduate course because I'll be able to create things like that game one day. I've tried to take some screenshots but Xbox One isn't letting me upload them so I'm not sure if I'll be able to use them in my sketchbook which is annoying but I have emails I can use I suppose.

I hope that next week goes well and that I can get my prints sorted out quickly. I'm looking forward to it being over even though I've really enjoyed making work...I've gotten frustrated a lot but I've learned. I probably should have chosen Lens Based instead of Fine Art but because of the freedom I had to experiment I was able to realize how much I love photoshop, so in that respect at least I think I made the right choice.

Thanks for reading,
-Deanna

No comments:

Post a Comment